A sacred cow is something which is immune to criticism by virtue of its generally accepted high status or self-evident truth. All sacred cows arise due to enculturating and imprinting. None of us are immune to having a few sacred cows within our thinking. As it would apply within the Michael Teachings, generally the “original group” or CQY group are considered sacred cows for being the first to publish Michael during this generation; whenever someone feels pressed to give an authoritative or orthodox answer, a quote from MFM is hauled out. Generally, most channels are considered sacred cows and off limits to overt scrutiny and critical examination, especially in a public forum.
Oddly enough, few know WHO any of the channels have been over the years for the original group. Yarbro isn’t a channel. Most know the name of Sarah Chambers, but she left the group prior to her death and started up her own group. There have been other channels in the San Francisco Bay Area who have been loosely involved with the group and gone on to form their own organizations. There is a patina of purity applied to their work because of locale and of a possible maybe loose affiliation–having once KNOWN someone who knew someone works. There are rumors on the evening breeze of disaffiliations and strongly-divided differences of opinion, but there is nothing quite like the mutually agreed upon veil of secrecy to give a more blended public image.
While Yarbro has gone to great lengths to organize and edit the Michael materials from one book to the next, there are still discrepancies that have managed to creep in. There are definite discrepancies between the books and later channels. The advent of the internet has really made cohesive solidarity an impossibility. Stuff gets published and passed along. There have been public channelings for the past 10 years where transcripts have been posted to the net. There is even a fairly large file of unedited original channeling sessions from the first couple of years, pre-Yarbro, floating around.
In a sense, the Michael Community is going through something quite similar to what the early Christian church did as the teachings spread, documents were written and copied, and different people applied different emphases to what the “message of Christ” had been, and meanwhile there was an organized attempt for an orthodox or authoritative viewpoint. Meanwhile, all channels are seeking the exact same patina of authority, no matter how far from the core Michael Teachings they stray, and as long as they continue to periodically quote MFM to prove their authority, most students go along with it. And, in the long run, it really is just another aspect of “It’s all choice,” and some very loose validating.
Personally, I don’t think there will ever be a truly authoritative version of Michael. Each person will have to validate according to their needs and beliefs, their other sacred cows, and adopt those things that make the most sense to themselves. Validating methods will always be widely separated by the three primary centers, and those who are intellectually centered will need different methods of validation than those who are emotionally centered, or moving centered. Truth, love, and energy will continue to play their parts in how validation occurs.
But, I do think all Michael students, regardless of whether or not one channels, do need to apply some fairly consistent standards and make an attempt to validate, rather than bobble-headed acceptance.
Troy Tolley channeled a “basic checklist” from Michael:
A BASIC CHECKLIST for validating the clarity, consistency, and presence of Michael through a person claiming to channel Michael, regardless of the “voice” being used.
- We will never tell you what to do.
- We will never predict.
- We will never speak to you in ways that only seek to comfort you.
- We do not use affectionate language as a means of socializing, or as a means to appeal to you.
- We will never shame you.
- We will never do the work of your life for you.
- We teach a philosophy that naturally encourages study and practice, if that philosophy is going to be valid, but it will not do the work of your life for you, or make your life easier. Only your study and implementation of the teaching can do such a thing.
- We refer to Past Lives as a means to increase your capacity for choice in the current life, but never as a means to simply explain away your conditions and experiences.
- We will never teach that your current life is a result of, or an imposition from, your Past Lives, but that your most relevant Past Lives are because of your current life choices.
- Our teaching is an evolving body that builds upon itself, but does not replace or displace itself. We do expand upon concepts that are often previously conveyed or interpreted as concluded, but this expansion is not a replacement or displacement, and will only add dimension that is consistent to the evolution.
- When we introduce a new aspect of our teaching, it propagates among our channels and does not become unique to any one channel for any great length of time.
- We do not make sensational, urgent, or conditional announcements.
- We do not do healing, or “energy work,” as this is a form of interference and potential karma.
- We do not work with any other entity in any way as any means to communicate or convey our teaching.
- We come to all who ask, but this does not mean we are heard, understood, or clearly communicated.
- We come to all who ask, but this does not mean that we come through any channel who claims he or she is channeling us.
- We and our teaching cannot be misrepresented because it is either us and our teaching, or it is not; we and the teaching are either heard clearly, or not.
- We will always trust that you will hear what you most need or want to hear.
- We will never restrict our communication to only what you want to hear, and we will never impose upon you what we see as your needing to hear.
- We cannot access private information about any fragment. Private information in the Akashic Records is as private as the individual Personality deems it to be, until that Personality deems it otherwise. Individual Personalities will always be the authority over their own information.
- Overleaves are not private information.
- Accessing the Akashic Records is part of our study, and your questions help us in that process. You cannot ask your questions, or for Overleaves, too many times.
- We do not evade or avoid questions that seek to help a student in a process of validation.
- We do not require questionnaires, birth information, or photographs as a means to access your Overleaves; that is a tool for the channel, not for us.
- Our channels are never displaced by us, but only merge with us as a means of communicating for us. There will always be a percentage of consciousness of the channel contributing to even the clearest of information, accurately or inaccurately.
- Everything we teach extends from the premise that every fragment carries the primary tool of Choice.
- We will always emphasize the tool of Choice as your most empowering tool.
- We state that “all is choice,” but this does not preclude the responsibility of learning how to choose in ways that contribute to you and your species evolution.
- We make the statement that “all is choice” as a fact of existence, not as a statement of permission.
- We are not out to save the world, have no interest in recruiting students, and do not find it necessary to alter our teachings in a way that allows for consumption by the masses.
- We do not expect you to take this check list at face value, but we offer it as a means to bring to light the patterns of consistency that establish the strength of our proximity to you through a channel, keeping in mind that the lack of proximity means only a lack of proximity. It does not have any bearing on the validity, or lack of validity, of a channel’s teaching or his or her interpretation of our teaching.